Monday, February 18, 2008

Menu Challenge #1

Tonight's menu challenge dinner was potatoes, onions and chickpeas (this dinner needs a title!). It's a recipe that I got from Mars, and DH and I really like it. Two of my kids will eat it and one won't. Sigh.

Anyway, I started with 1 1/2 onions, chopped, and three yukon gold potatoes. I sauteed the onions in olive oil until they were very soft. Then I added the potatoes. I cook them together for quite a bit, and I like the crispy bits too so maybe a bit hotter than I should.




Finally, I add turmeric and curry powder and stir them up until coated. Then I add 1 can of chick peas and heat them through. As you can see, I'm still learning my new not non-stick pan here. I know the heat-it-up-before-adding-oil-then-food trick, but I still get quite a bit of sticking. I'll get there eventually though.




Looks pretty on my white plate, don't you think? Yes, it's a spare meal but we don't eat much. I couldn't think of anything to serve with it other than steamed broccoli, which is one of the few veggies all three kids will eat. I would love to hear some suggestions for vegetable side dishes!

I wonder what I'll feel like making tomorrow night?

5 comments:

Amber Mc said...

Well, my wish has been granted. We'll try that.

Unknown said...

Oh, this looks so delicious. I already want to alter my menu to make it this week. I'm definately going to add it for next week. I'd serve something green with it. Probably asparagus since we all love asparagus.

Nirinjan said...

Hi Heather! There is a name for the chickpea dish you made. It sounds similar to an Indian food dish called Channa Masala. http://www.route79.com/food/channa-masala.htm We like it here too.

SewingHappiness said...

Thank you Niri! Sounds much cooler to have Channa Masala on my menu than potato and chickpeas, lol.

Asparagus is a great suggestion Melissa!

Mars said...

Hmmm, we just call it "The Potato, Onion and Chickpea Meal". ROFL I haven't made that in ages. Hmmmm, you just might be seeing that on our menu soon. BTW, we often eat it for breakfast. YUM!

~Mars