Saturday, February 23, 2008

Stir Cry

Well, I've already fallen behind on the menu challenge. I decided to take my kids on an overnight with skiing when my sister sprung the opportunity on me suddenly. I did manage to make dinner on Wednesday. We had the dinner known fondly as Stir Cry. It's a favorite of mine and my husband, but I bet you can guess how it got the name.

I start with a mix of fresh veggies. In this case it was cauliflower, broccoli, carrots and snow peas. Once it got cooking I added red pepper because it was looking boring. First, I heat up my stir fry pan and add some oil. I cut up some boneless chicken breasts and sautee until cooked through. Then I add about 1/8 cup of water and the veggies. I cover that and let them steam for about 15 minutes.


While that's going I mix up my stir fry sauce. I use:
* 1 cup broth (chicken or veggie, what ever I have on hand - boullion works in a pinch)
* 3 Tbsp white vinegar
* 3 Tbsp corn starch
* 2 Tbsp soy sauce
* 2 Tbps sugar


Blend those together and add to the pan. Stir that around until the sauce thickens up, with the heat on med-high. My kids think it's cool to watch the liquid change.






Serve with some rice of your choosing. We like Jasmine rice. Enjoy. Cover your ears to block the crying if you must. Actually, for the first time ever, this dinner did not cause any crying. Not even one little wimper! The key here for me was that my oldest ate early and was not present at this meal. Dastardly, I know, but without his negative vibe at the table, the littles actually tried the dinner and declared it not at all bad. In fact, Owen declared it yummy!

Oh, and lest you think my jaunt to the slopes was all fun and games... Here's a cute photo of Leah with her ski-school skis.

Here's how I spend my time from lunch on when she decided she "just don't like skiing". Sigh. I wish I'd brought my knitting!
Oh, and after that I got to drive home in a snowstorm. It took more than 5 hours to get to my sister's house. It should have taken two. So we spent the night there since my nerves were shot. I've never been so happy to see bare pavement in my life!

1 comment:

Amber Mc said...

Looks good, Heather...though I must admit that I was a "Stir Cry" kid growing up. I HATED when mom made stir fry! (But I'm quite partial to it now).